Thursday, September 29, 2005

What's the railroad to me?

What's the railroad to me?
I never go to see
Where it ends.
It fills a few hollows,
And makes banks for the swallows,
It sets the sand a-blowing,
And the blackberries a-growing.

-- Henry David Thoreau

Railroad


I was once travelling between Haridwar and Rishikesh, when I came upon this railroad. It later struck me as rather odd that this, in the middle of nowhere, was the most beautiful sight I saw in that trip.

So in case you find yourself travelling between H and R by road, and you see a flash of steel among the breaks in the woods that flank the road, I strongly urge you to stop, walk down to the railway tracks, and - as Mr.Davies puts it - stand and stare.

And while you do, try not to catch the train to Dehra-Dun in the small of your back.

13 comments:

Vignesh said...

I never quite figured out where that is... the small of my back that is...

Neato pic !!

m. said...

im lost in admiration! seriously beautiful snap :)

Anonymous said...

I really love this picture.

~ Shibs.

Brewtus said...

Simply Beautiful!

Swathi said...

ah Thoreau!I jus picked 'Walden'

nice pic , wud remember ur reco when I walk that path

Pink said...

I know it's been said before but I want to say it again.. Lovely picture! Makes me want to go there right now!

RS said...

Unrelated to this post - finally managed to write the short story, after quite a struggle - really, its easier to write long-winding, rambling mega serials - 55 words was quite a challenge!

Senthil said...

Vignesh: Heh, heh... I should've said 'smaller'... :)

M.: Thanksh, memshaab! This was one of those places where it's very difficult to get a bad photograph...

Shibs: Thanks again! And where have you been? I've been scouring the ether with a fine-toothed comb... still no sign.

Brewtus: Thanks, da-dey!

Swathi: Thanks. And holy cow! Walden? Ma'am, I am not worthy! I bow down to thee...

Lavi: You should!

RS: Yay! Shall read immediately!

Shrutz said...

yew rock!

Gamesmaster G9 said...

Hey, can I use your 55 word story for this compilation?

Anurag said...

Are you waiting for this post to undergo Mitosis and become two of its own volition?

Senthil said...

Shrutz: Cedar pebble? :)

GamesMasterG9: Yasssir!

Anurag: People who live in glass houses... however, I have complied. Voila.

twinky said...

yammaaaaaaaazingggg