Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Cameraderie

Since I do not feel very chatty, I'm putting up a few more of the pics my shiny new SLR has turned out.

This one is from my bedroom window. My bedroom has a rather large window that faces the east, which is rather unfortunate, as sunlight comes streaming in a few hours after I hit the sack. Thus I sleep in my living room, unless there is something vitally important to be done early in the morning, like saving the earth from mutant Praying Mantes (is that correct grammar - one mantis --> many mantes? Considering the axis --> axes analogy, it probably is), or the neighbourhood from stampeding Emus, or lying in wait to catch the son-of-a-whatnot who keeps stealing my newspaper. Then I shift to the bedroom.

But I digress. As I was saying, this snap is from my bedroom window, taken one such morning. Shrik had very considerately lent me his 100-300mm zoom lens, and would have lent me his tripod as well, but for the fact that when he unwrapped the long-unused structure, it looked "like someone has been using it to hit rocks", as he tells me.

Clouds


The next one is at Pune University. Now this is one of my favourite spots in Pune, especially 'Shanti Tapri', the poor man's Barista, where I've had multiple cups of tea, sitting and talking about life in general with Lavi, or reading a book, or generally just lazing around. Like Koregaon Park, the campus is thick with trees. The last time I went there, armed with clunky camera and all, I ducked through the underbrush in front of the statistics department on a whim, and came upon this interesting specimen.

Gnarled tree


Like I said, I'm not feeling very chatty...

19 comments:

Rocky Geddam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rocky Geddam said...

Thanx pal. I’m just amateur too, guess mutual constructive criticism would help :P

I'm starting a new photo blog , I could really use some comments

Two very nice pictures there. Now how the hell did u get those greens on the sky? special film? post editing? serendipity? actually adjusted my gamma to take a good look at that one.

could use some more of your humor, reminiscent of PGW and DNA... no I never heard of Dave Barry before.

PS: Damn! They won't let me edit my comment.

Senthil said...

Rocky: Right-ho. We have ourselves a deal.
Now for the greens - I have absolutely no bloody idea. I scanned the prints on my scanner, and the clouds started to show a slight greenish tinge. Once I adjusted the contrast to make up for the loss of contrast due to the scanning, the greens really started standing out. I had to slightly desaturate the image after that. Absolutely no idea how it happened. Maybe you can come up with some sort of explanation...

M (tread softly upon) said...

Loved the photos esp the second one with the tree in it. It has this wonderful dreamy, mystical feel about it. And the framing was perfect too. Thanks!

Swathi said...

luved tat second foto - nice green n after-the-rain look

D said...

mantises is the correct usage.

m. said...

the second one is LOVELY!

Rocky Geddam said...

hmm. Suspect some kind of colour management settings on your scanner.

The second picture is a nice composition, law of thirds all the way.

The contrast though surprises me yet again. Did you use the automatic metering or did you set the exposure time manually?

You have lost the details beyond the trees completely to overexposure.. nice effect but hard to achieve on film especially with your dark foreground. Post scan adjustment I suspect? I'm curious to know whether your printed copy has details beyond the trees...

RS said...

You are not feeling chatty, but looks like your pictures are doing a lot of the talking here :)

Senthil said...

The other m: Thanks! It was the first photograph that I knew was going to be good even as I snapped it... :)

Swathi: It really was nice, green, and after the rain!

Dhammo: Ah. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Dhammo, the CulSec of our batch (when we were young dumb, and in college). Right-ho, Dhammo - Mantises. Pishkyaon! ;)

M.: Lady, you should come to Pune sometime and give me a call, and I shall show you that tree. It's amazing. We can also have some tea at Shanti Tapri...

Rocky: Probably, but can these settings be changed?
As for the second photograph, I actually set my light metering by focussing on the bark of the tree. yep, it was manual... the washout effect of the background was unintentional, however. What I wanted was the texture of the bark to be visible, which was why I set my exposure accordingly. I think the aperture was about f/9, and the shutter speed about 15... had a hard time holding the camera steady... and I'm bursting with pride as I type this - NO POST-SCAN ADJUSTMENT! More of serendipity again, though. I'm bad at coming up with the right contrast, unless I bracket my shots. A friend has recommended gray cards for subject photography. They help, apparently.

RS: What do they say? What do they sayyyyy?

D said...

this is blatant reverse sex discrimination.

Dhammo: ... Pishkyaon! ;)

M.: Lady, you should come to Pune sometime and give me a call, ... We can also have some tea at Shanti Tapri...

i mean, you could atleast offer me chai!

RS said...

senthil: more like a figure of speech :)) but they are nice and green (esp the second one) and I suppose, are giving a huge smile to all of us :)

Rat said...

Photo blogging is the best when your not feeling very chatting. Plus you have the talent :)

m. said...

make it cardamom tea and youve a deal! :D

Senthil said...

Dhammo: Tsk, tsk... my man, we're supposed to be the gallant chaps, ready to put the general comfort of the ladies above fraternal tea sessions...

RS: Egad! I was KIDDING! But, thanksh! :)

Rat: It definitely reduces the creation of a post to a less-than-ten-minute exercise... :)
And thanks!

M.: Right-ho! Cardomom tea it will be, even if I have to carry the bally thing in a flask around my neck. Now all that remains unanswered is: when? :)

Senthil said...

Erratum: CardAmom. Whoops.

m. said...

oh dear yes, it is... sorry - typo :)

m. said...

lol.. i just looked at the first cardamom immly above... i didnt realise that was yours and not mine! :))
(and for what its worth.. i think amru english accepts o instead of a :D)

RS said...

Ohh, gotcha...Duh..I do that sometimes :)