Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Good. Just those.

...because I would be too embarrassed to show you the bad and (shudder) the ugly photographs from the first roll on my shiny new EOS 66. As usual, the pics I took almost impulsively came out better than the ones I painstakingly set up. If I were in my usual chatty mood, I would go on and tell you about how I have always screwed up on stuff that I have taken great pains to prepare for, and how I have been very lucky on stuff I did on impulse, but I have to sit and prepare for some real intimidating stuff I'll have to face in the next three days (and thus screw up, going by history), so here goes...

The one below is at Bandstand, Mumbai. One of my favourite places in the city, and I try to go there every time I visit Mumbai. I underexposed this frame a bit, in the hope that it would look more dramatic, since the sun was not in its setting-mode yet. Now that I look at the pic, I wish I'd had something in the foreground. Something to show that this was Bandstand. For now, this could be any seashore.





The second one is at a Barista in one of the multiplexes in Pune. I was waiting for a few friends there, had time to kill, the place was almost empty, and I have always loved their ambient lighting. Very mellow. I tried to increase the depth of field here, I think my aperture was down to f/11. I had to thus increase my exposure to 2 secs. Unfortunately, I'd left my lens hood on, which is not a good idea in wide-angle shots, as you can see.






Comments, pointers, criticism, please. Right, then - I'm off.

8 comments:

Swathi said...

Hi Senthil,
May I have the honour of commenting first on ur blog (??)

i am Ignorance Personified when it comes to cameras n fotography jargon and boy! all these awesome photos u ppl take does it gimme a fotografy complex or wat!

luved the colors of the coffee shop pic.

Anurag said...

The second pic is very nice. It is a good idea to carry a small beanie bag with you if you are going to be shooting long exposure. The bag modified to fit to the camera contours, making is very stable.

m. said...

i LOVE the glowing colours of the second one... reminds me of cezanne :) barista outlets in pune have lovely lighting too dont they?

would love to share my holidays snaps (:d) but uh, how dyou post pics? my picasa-hullo thing is being totally uncooperative. is there something a non techie can do? :(

Senthil said...

Swathi: Whoa! Honour and all! Thanks! :)

Anurag: Thanks, and yeah, I guess the first one is a bit too pedestrian. The beanie bag idea is fandoo - but where does one get it? Will call you at a more earthly hour to find out.

M: Thanks! Er... but what is cezanne? Pardon me ignorance... oh, and yes, they do have amazing lighting.

About the uploading pics thingie, you can upload pics at one of those free online image hosting thingies available on the net, and then copy the link location of your image and paste it onto your post. I tried picasa, too, and did not work for me, either. Try pic14.picturetrail.com, or any other such site.

kakkar said...

I like the Barista one too. I also like the fact that you can read "Coffee" written on the tray mat. You and Anurag are giving me enthu to buy a camera too...

m. said...

thanks a lot! checked out the site. - cezanne is a post impressionist who was famous especially for his oranges.. simply glllllowing beautiful colours! :D

Senthil said...

Kakkar: Wow, I hadn't noticed the writing myself. And yep, go ahead and buy that camera! Buy a Canon, with those 70-300mm lenses, and I can also borrow them from you. :)

M: Mensun naat, milady!
I checked out this Cezanne chappie's works, and yep, the oranges are damn good. Speaking of orange, you should check out Van Gogh's Wheatfield with Crows. The way he contrasts orange with his blues is amazing.

Anonymous said...

that coffee cup pic is most awesome. most impressed!

~saand